Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Butler has gone home

This is Butler at about 8 weeks old in this picture. Full of energy, his little feet and tail were pink, pink, pink. He was curious and bouncy and loved to snuggle up with his brothers. He would dart up and down the ramps of his big, multi level cage, barely touching anything. Given a box or a paper bag, or anything else shreddable, he and his brothers could shred anything into a fine haze:-) They were such a joy to watch.

Sadly, Butler left this weekend when his little body just couldn't hold out anymore. At nearly 3, he'd had a pretty healthy life over all. I am now ratless and I feel so off kilter.

I've always had rats, for more than 10 years now actually. With all I have going on right now, it wouldn't be right to get more. Oh, someday, I will have more rats again, but it will have to be closer to a time when there will be time in my life to give them the life I want them to have. One where they get lots of time out of the cage and I can give them, as well as my dogs, all the time and love they need. It will be a long while (as in years-time just won't allow for it now.) before I can do that again, but I look forward to the day when I bring little ratlets home again. In addition to time, my girls are not getting younger. They deserve to truly be the center of attention now.

I've said it many times before, but it is still amazing how such tiny creatures can make such a big impact on your life. They taught me how to accept death before my parents passed away. They taught me to look more closely at things, because you truly can't believe everything you hear. They taught me how to love again, even when my heart was broken. They were my companions who made me smile, even BEFORE I had my dogs (can hardly even remember that:-) And even though it's so sad that their dear little lives are so short, I wouldn't trade my time with any of them for anything. I adore my dogs, but sometimes I've thought it was my rats that keep me human, remind me to have compassion, and remind me to appriciate the small things in life, because those are the things that I will remember later and smile about.

God Bless, sweet Butler boo. I love you and all that came before you to pieces. You will be sorely missed, but never, ever forgotten.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Tracy. I can so empathise with you just now. He was a sweet boy who had a great life with a loving momma. What more could a rattie boy want?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll always be close to your heart - in spirit and ink. Sorry and love you!

    ReplyDelete