Thursday, November 25, 2010

I am Thankful

It's hard to believe another Thanksgiving has come and is on it's way out. I'm thankful for things every day of my life, but it's that time of year when I tend to think about more than just the everyday. There are times when I find that I beat myself up over things that I can't control. And sometimes over things I can control. We all do that now and again. Then I stop and think that, as I'm only human, things happen that just simply have to be let go. Then I start thinking about all of the beauty that has touched my life and how things seem like just a blink. That's when I start to think of the souls that have touched my life, whether animal or human.

I've lost both of my parents in the last 8 years and holiday seasons have been tough. I've lost siblings, friends and pets. With each one that left, things seemed to get harder. Then, it turns out, I have a disease that is constantly trying to take me down. Sometimes I give in because I'm just tired of having to work so hard to keep moving forward. Through it all, I've had my animals and the dogs I've been fortunate enough to have come through my home while waiting for a forever home. Some made it. Sadly, others never left foster care.

This year, though, has been a start of new, happy traditions. Better memories and thanks for all of the things that have shaped my life. I've had many influences in my life, good and bad. Of all of these, the influences that have made the biggest differences have been from the animals I have worked with and from the people I have met that work to make a difference in lives of even those they haven't met yet. Those who remain positive about the world and the people in it. Those who, no matter what, strive to change things that need to be changed.

You might remember Chester, the senior, senior, senior lab that left us last year around this time. That poor dog had bones that rubbed when he walked, liver disease, the beginnings of paralysis due to damage to his spine and a list of other health issues. Yet here was a creature who would still bring me a toy for me to "throw", which usually ended up with me tossing it a couple of feet (because I was afraid he'd fall over if I threw it farther!) and him scrambling in pure happiness to "fetch" it and do it over again. No, I'm not exaggerating either. Everyone that met Chester loved him. I still think about that dog almost daily. It never ceased to amaze me, the zest for life he had. Yeah, so things didn't work like they were supposed to. Big fat hairy deal. He'd just walk a little slower. Eat a little slower, but he still wagged that crooked old tail and would give kisses any time you were within 5 inches of him:-) I need to continue to take a lesson from that (well, maybe except for the kissing anything within 5 inches, lol). We all hear about humans who deal with issues like this and worse and God bless them, for sure. But sometimes seeing it on tv or reading about it is a whole lot different from knowing a living being personally who understands the value of life without overthinking it. Who continues to enjoy life regardless of the future. So while I'm thankful for my family and friends, and the life I'm lucky enough to have, I'm especially blessed to know the value of really living from being with creatures that are happy, loving and exhuberant, even when they don't feel so great or maybe they don't have the best things, or they might not be getting enough attention when they want it. For this and many other things, I truly am thankful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment