Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pooch roll call

I don't know about you, but the easiest way to make sure all my dogs are in when it's time for bed is to simply count them.  Two big dogs, two little dogs and then whichever pooch is staying with us at the time (that would be Blue and Goldie right now:-)  My guys go in and out so often, it reminds me of when my parents used to yell at us for opening and closing the back door so much.  There were 6 of us kids and we were not very good at staying in one place or another so we pretty much either air conditioned or heated the whole outside according to them:-)  So counting is really the best way to make sure they are all safe and sound inside.

That being said, I soooooo wish that I could get up to get my camera right now, but it's one of those moments that would be completely ruined if I attempted to even get up!  Blue has decided to take over Goldie's crate for some reason (much to the chagrin of Goldie.  He's put off by it, but refuses to boot her out:-)  Did you know that dog's could sleep with their eyes open?  Well, they can.  Goldie, as small as he is, is stretched out the entire length of the couch next to me.  There is a toy by his tail, one by his belly and one under his head.  Yup, rough life he's livin' right now, eh?  Man is this dog attached to his toys!

Squirt is dreaming right now, right at my feet.  I can tell because her feet and ears are jerking.  I'll bet she's dreaming of chasing some rabbit or maybe that pesky squirrel that keeps throwing stuff out of the tree at the dogs when they come out (no, I'm not kidding.)  Ginger is snoozing in the square bed with her body all rolled up, and her head leaning on the side of the bed.  She's too cute for her own good.  Lexy and Cody are sharing a big round dog bed. For some reason, Lexy always has to sleep with her butt and belly on the bed and everything else hanging off.  Maybe she likes for the blood to flow more easily to her head?  Cody loves his Lexy, maybe even more than he loves me, I think.  Whether in the house or outside, if he's sitting still and not sitting on me, he sits in the curve of Lexy's body.  And she likes it:-)  She loves other dogs, but not touching her, except for Cody.  Every once in a while, Butler makes an appearance, poking his head out of his bed or one of his many chewed up boxes.

Nothing new to report on Goldie.  He's still here of course.  Folks don't know what they're missing with this one.  He's such a great dog!  I was cleaning the rat cage earlier tonight and he just sat down (he's a butt sitter too!) with his ears perked forward watching everything I was doing.  He didn't try to come at the cage or get into the trash or anything.  He just sat there watching intently.

Blue has been a funny one to have around.  She reminds me of several different seniors that I've been lucky enough to have pass through my place.  She mostly sleeps, but she gets very excited about her meals.  She's taken to following me around wherever I go in the house.  Makes me feel a little bad because her legs are a little stiff and she's a little bumpy from fatty tumors, so I know it can't be easy for her to keep getting up every time I move.  But she does.  She'll get up, follow, watch to see where I'm going, then when I stop, she'll just lay down near my feet.  She must have been someone's pet at one time.  She's happy enough, but it makes me sad to think she'll probably never make it out of foster care.  Don't get me wrong, she gets lots of love and has it pretty comfy, but to think that she won't get to be anyone's pet, for real, before her time is up, well, it just makes me sad.  That happens all to often with too many animals. I keep hoping that someday all pets, and humans for that matter, will be able to have a home of their own and know what it's like to be loved, safe and secure.  I doubt it will happen during my lifetime, but until then, we do the best we can to help where we can and we do a LOT of praying. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment