Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Hopes

Here we are, just entering 2011. I'm sure it'll be weeks before I get the year right. My students always love the beginning when they get to correct me constantly about the dates:-) Thankfully for me, I'm cool with that. I've always taught my students that no one is perfect and as long as you are kind when pointing out errors (as I try to be with them!) it's all good. (which is a good thing because I'm easily distracted and when one of the kids asks me something I don't know, perfect segway to get on the internet or look it up in a book and find the answer!) Love technology. Wish I was as savvy at it as my 4th graders!

Dates aside, I guess, like everyone, I find myself reflecting on the year and all that has happened-good and not so good. Overall, I'm pretty lucky. This year brought me new projects such as the school garden. I had many outgoing and lovable fosters who were fortunate enough to find great homes (Goldie Boy is still my pride though:-) Wasn't so sure about him at first. What a diamond in the rough he turned out to be. They were mostly younger than what I'm used to working with (which is a challenge in and of itself) but what a hoot they were. A far cry from the stoic beauties from last year that I had to say tearful farewells too (RIP: Trinity, Chester, Buddy and Jester). That's one of the sad things when working with older dogs who have come from scary situations. Just don't know what they've been through and how to fix the health issues that can come along. Course, every moment is worth it. I've had many, many more older bubs who have happily gone on to live with their families without the issues that plagued these guys. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw for them. Though I love how our founder Ellen has explained it. At least these beautiful creatures know the happiness of love and comfort before they pass whether it was with me or their forever homes. I like thinking of it that way. Helps to be able to keep going for the next ones. Course this year has been a good one with the fosters. I've been fascinated with the adoptions I've had this year.

Of course, my bubs have all been well and then there was the addition of Ginger to our family:-) What a pistol that one is. She came in like a lamb and has turned into a real lion, lol. She acts completely demure and coy when she wants my attention, but when one of the other dogs comes up to steal her thunder, out pops that lion. It's not as bad as it sounds, but it's definitely funny. These guys always keep me in stitches with their antics. I get to come home to happy every day. I may have mentioned that before, but it's worth mentioning again.

Sadly, I did have to say goodbye to Leo and Butler, my sweet little ratboys. I sure do miss their little antics. With life constantly changing I had to make the decision to hold off on anymore rats for the time being. To much running around and not enough time. I always hated that they were stuck in their cages too much. They didn't seem to mind:-) but I always did. I've had rats since 1999. Heck, I had them before I even found Lexy and Squirt and that's saying something. Someday again. . .

Like everyone else I've had ups and downs with family, friends and the job, though that's life, eh? I am pretty happy about my new position working with all the grades. This break has reminded me that I need to put more fun back into learning. (this has probably been the best holiday break ever) It really is sad how mandates and districts can literally ruin the joy of learning for our bright young minds. However, there are ways around that:-) Hopefully there will be some big changes with my classes this next semester that will help to bring more kids that can't wait to come instead of "do I really have to?"

Oh, and my camera broke! So what a shame I have to get a new one *wink*. So hopefully better and more pics this year.

I have a lot of hopes for the new year. I hope to be more patient with humans, more outgoing with folks (believe it or not, I have done public speaking in front of large crowds, no problem, but can be stupidly shy in small groups when it's not work related) I want to get involved with more, get my graduate degree going full steam, get healthier and travel somewhere this year. These aren't necessarily resolutions. I suck at keeping those. I would like these to just be things to strive for. Oh and lastly, I'd love to be able to find the joy in life that my dogs do:-) Man, as humans we overthink waaaaay too much. Life can be GOOD even when it's bad. It can ALWAYS be worse. So hard to remember that sometimes. It's all a matter of perspective. As much as I hate to end this with cliche"ish" statements, I can't seem to help myself:
Life is too short to always worry about doing everything right and pleasing everyone around us. We do the best we can, strive for more for ourselves and those around us and pray that our higher power can overlook our flaws (even if we have a lot:-). Other than that, find happiness in the little things and remember to smile at people. You just never know what a difference it can make. Happy New Year out there! Give your critters(or your humans) a hug and hold on tight, 'cause here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment