Saturday, July 3, 2010

Meet Pup

I know, not the best name for a big 'ol dog, but I just got him last night, so he hasn't given me his new name yet:-)
Already he has shown that he loves other dogs, of all sizes. Is apparently respectful of his elders, lol. Blue gave him a good old what for when he tried to "meet" her the way dogs do. I thought she would tear his head off, bwahaha. Even better, I thought he might cry, lol! He sat back on his haunches and just watched her wondering what the heck was going on.
At first I thought he was shepherd/dane mix, but after checking it out online, I believe now that he's an anatolian shepherd mix, no dane. And those sad eyes of his? Even when he's wiggling around wagging his tail, he still has those eyes. Oh my, when I heard him whimpering in the crate this morning to go potty, I walked in and you could have hit me in the stomach and it wouldn't have affected me more than looking at that face staring out of the crate. I don't even think he knows he has the "heartbreak factor" of those sad eyes. I realize that given a little time, I will get used to them and not have the urge to squeeze him every time he looks at me. For now he is quite happy to have me give him a big hug and scratch his back.

He's still not too sure what's going on, but I think he will be content soon enough. He and Goldie are very nearly the same size. Almost the same color too, lol. Goldie was jealous at first, but now he's figuring out he's got a new friend that he stands eye to eye with instead of always having to reach down to the little dogs:-)

Pup seems to be quite gentle. He took treats very gently and looked at my rat with great interest but not with that crazy prey drive that I see so often in Squirt and Ginger's eyes. He seems to already know sit and lay down. He pulls on the leash, but doesn't mind it and very much likes to go outside to explore the yard. He's just as happy to come in adn sit on the carpet. It's only the first day, but I think I'm going to like having this little guy around.

Speaking of leashes, Goldy FINALLY got to go on a real walk in the park today with my two little dogs. Scared to death at first, but by the end of the walk, his tail was curled up high and he was prancing with joy. A few more days of this and hopefully he won't be afraid to have the leash on him any more!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment