Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sleepless in St. Louis:-)

It's after midnight and I just can't seem to sleep.  No particular reason, just not ready for bed yet I guess.  All is quiet though.  I guess this is what parents talk about when they talk about the "me" time that comes in the wee hours of the morning after (or before) the kids wake up and commence to running around and hollering:-)  Well, almost all is quiet.  I can hear Blue sawing a log as she sleeps with her head hanging off the dog bed.  My two smallest dogs could be carbon copies of each other.  Sleeping side by side, in nearly the same position even next to me.  Lanky Max is rolled into a teensy ball in his crate (how DO they do that??) Lexy sleeping on the cool tiles in the bathroom and Squirt snoozing on the carpet in front of me.

Butler my little rattie boy was out earlier, but even he is quiet tonight.  He's sure getting up there in age. Used to be I could hear him and his brothers scurrying around wrestling, eating and creating havoc in their big ol' cage.  To be honest, it actually lulled me to sleep at night.  Yeah, I know crazy, but that's the way it is.   He's closer to 3 now than he is to 2 and his back legs are starting to go out.  Such is the plight of the pet rat who lives to a ripe old age all too often.  One advantage though, he likes it more now when I get him out.  He's such an independent little booger that for a while, once he had the cage to himself, he liked to play until I wanted to get him out to snuggle (typical man, lol!)  Now he seems to again enjoy the time that he has out with me.  Compulsive groomers, it is very frustrating for a rat who can no longer flex his body the way he used to.  He's content to allow me to brush his thinning coat, feed him baby food so that he can keep his weight up and he's now happy to just snuggle on my lap and enjoy some company. 

Sweet little things, rats are.  Severely misunderstood.  *sigh*  I think I've said this before, but I really used to worry when my rats would get old and worry about when my dogs will get old.  Since being a foster for St. Louis Senior Dog Project, I've learned not to worry about that stuff anymore.  Life is short enough without worrying when the "time" will come.  It will come when it's darned good and ready and no amount of worrying will make it any less easy.  But it is happier for all involved to live every moment so that you have no regrets when your friend is gone (didn't spend enough time, didn't pay enough attention, etc.)  Enjoy each day as it comes for all it's small miracles.  I think it's easier for our pets as well.  They are so keenly aware of emotions.  They know when you're worried, just not why necessarily.  Adds stress to them as well.  The calmer and happier you are, same often goes for them. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll still shed a tear for what's to come now and then.  But not because I fear it anymore like I once did.  The tears I shed now are tears of pride and joy.  How lucky am I that I get to experience the beauty of these creatures even though it's only for a short time?  What an amazing effect it has had on my life to be a witness and a part of such joyful spirits?  Who knows?  But no tears tonight:-)  Only the sound of the crickets, the occasional cicada. . .oh yeah, and the sound of Blue snoring aloud while I'll bet she's dreaming of dog treats and ruling the house:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment