Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Ramblings of Fate


You know, it’s funny how things work out in a way you never dreamed.  I was just planning to pick up some of the donated food that our group received for the foster dogs.  I think maybe someone was going to bring it here, but it was an easy day and I called Gerry and arranged to meet her where she was meeting a few others for pick up.  While we were there, a little Italian Greyhound came speeding out of the store and into the parking lot.  Long story short, after many people went after the dog as he was crossing MAJOR intersections with a ton of traffic I was able to coax him into my car as he tried to run by and he hopped right in.  Needless to say, his owners were overjoyed to get him back in one piece. 

Strangely, as happy as everything turned out, I cried all the way home.  Maybe it was adrenaline, maybe it was watching in terror as this 15 lb dog (if that) is bolting into traffic.   I couldn’t get over my frustration at being stuck at an intersection on the way to try to help this dog, only to have the dog come running up a major street and literally right to my car.  An open door and a “Come here baby!!!!!”  was all it took to get him to hop in.  Mind you I was doing my best not to shriek as I was a bit panicked that he’d used up all of his chances as he was bolting across these busy roads.   I didn’t know this dog.  All he knew is he was being chased. 

All the way home I kept thinking, what if I hadn’t been right there?  What if they had stopped chasing him so he wouldn’t be so afraid? would he have come back if he didn’t think someone was after him?  What if I hadn’t thought to open my car door?  What if I hadn’t come to pick up the food today and just stayed with my original plan?  Then it hit me, what does it really matter the what ifs, the whys, the would ofs?  Bottom line, strangers worked together today for a common good.  There’s a happy, albeit extremely tired, dog back with his people.  The questions just really aren’t important. Sometimes you just have to have faith, whether in yourself, in a higher power, or whatever.  There are some moments where I think you are exactly where you are meant to be.  Go hug your critters and be thankful for the good that comes your way.  It may not always seem like it, but there’s always plenty to be grateful for:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment