Friday, May 14, 2010

Well, well, well. . .

That's what I always say when something REALLY surprises me. I gotta tell you, the first day Goldy was here, I tried to stay as positive as I could. He was scared to death, having issues because he was stuck in a new place and I honestly was having my doubts about the possibility of being able to bring this boy out of his shell. Well, let me tell you, this guy has pleasantly surprised the heck outta me!!
First of all I thought he'd be on a long leash for at least a month when we went outside in the yard. He no longer needs that leash. He comes when I call him and seems to find happiness in going out AND coming in. Get this, he even lets me wipe his paws! What a gentleman dog. It took me forever to teach Cody how to do that and he STILL doesn't always want to listen after 3 years!
As you can see in the lower picture, he, er, well, he REALLY, REALLY likes stuffed toys. I don't mean one or two, I mean the whole toy box! No matter how many times I empty out the crate so that he can actually get in, he will very carefully go and get each toy, one at a time and carry them all BACK to the cage. I've been trying to play with the toys with him. It scares him, but I think he's going to be a big fetch dog once he realizes I'm not going to beat him with the toy. It's not funny, but what is funny is his quizzical look with his ears coming forward as he's obviously trying not to be afraid and clearly wants to play, but is not quite ready for that yet.
Goldy seems to have a really gentle spirit. It freaks him out when my ankle biters sit in the window barking at the grass growing, lol.
If I've said it once, I'll still say it a million more times, my pack has an uncanny knack for bringing out the best in other dogs. Ginger has found her place. Even though I'm sure it is unintentional, she refuses to leave me alone with Goldy. The more she snuggles with me, the more he seems to realize that he's okay here. I think her gift might be letting the newbies know that humans are safe.
As I sit here writing this, both the little dogs are on the back of the couch guarding the front of the house. Lexy is out back checking out the goings on there. Squirt is curled up on one of the dog beds. Butler is still snoozing. He should be waking up any time looking for his dinner. And here next to me on the couch sits Goldy. I'm dying to get up and get the camera. As the breeze blows through the window he keeps sticking up his nose to get a whiff. I just know if I move to get the camera he's going to get up. It was a c r a p p p p y day at school today, but I'm feeling better. Just when I can't take one more thing I come home and learn something new about why my critters are so great. Nope, not making any of this up either, though as I read it, sure does sound like I am. I may complain now and then, but I'm quite a lucky gal. . .
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment