Monday, May 31, 2010

Little dogs, big rats?

I hate to admit it, but in past years, I wasn't much of a little dog person. Or at least that's what I told myself. Seems I'm quite the little dog person after all. That being said, I'm not totally sure my affinity for rats didn't affect my perception of little dogs. After all, they are an awful lot alike. I really noticed that this morning.

Minding my own business on the couch, I was suddenly attacked by two wrestling, tail wagging monsters with tiny paws (that would be Cody and Ginger). Once they settled down, they were both in my lap and Ginger had her front arms wrapped around Cody's head and started "grooming" him if you will. You know, where they take just their front teeth and nibble at the fur, skin like they are cleaning it, which they may well be I guess. Anyway, that is a behavior that is extremely common in rats. In fact, it is a social norm to be quite honest. She was just going to town and he was eating up the attention. I remember watching my rats do that and thinking how amazing it was that a creature who is so dreaded and feared by so many could be so compassionate about another. Well, it is partially a way of asserting heirarchy, but it is also a social thing. Rats are REALLY clean regardless of what folks think. To be honest, probably cleaner than dogs.(sorry my furry babies but you know it's true!:-)

It's funny how we look at creatures as being so different because they appear to be different on the outside. But are they really all that different? In my opinion, they really aren't. Granted, rats are a prey species and dogs are on the predator end of things, but when it boils down to it, they are very similar in many, many ways. Amazing what pops in your head on a lazy holiday morning. . .
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment