Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lucky

This morning I met Ellen to pick up Lucky:-) Freshly bathed, tail wagging, but nervous I could tell he was already attached to Ellen. Lol, for those of you that don't know Ellen, that is a topic we discuss almost weekly at adoption events. We're always trying to figure out what magic Ellen possesses because every dog that comes to her home, be it a day or many months, can barely stand to be away from her!! They look longingly and sometimes will do just about whatever it takes to get to her:-) Lucky did come with me easily, with several squeals, tail still wagging and head down, unsure of himself.

Lucky and I had to make a stop at Pets In the City for dog food before coming home. I took him in with me, just to get him out and he was a hit with the girls that were there! I don't think his tail stopped wagging and oh boy does he have some cute ears when he's perked up! A few dogs came in while we were there and I thought he was going to just bust with joy:-)

This picture is Lucky when we got home to my yard. He's younger than most dogs that I foster, only about a year old, but he's no less traumatized than some of the older dogs that have stayed with me. He's a super friendly, calm boy who does not demonstrate that he's only a year old. He's a fearful boy which makes me think that someone, somewhere did not treat him well. When we got home I really discovered just how fearful he is. For those of you that foster, you know that even the most well potty trained dog can have an accident on his/her first visit to a new house where there are many, MANY smells from dogs past (and current.) Well, he started to do a little piddle and I immediately and quite loudly said no (which is typical for me when trying to get my dogs to stop doing something inappropriate.) Did I regret that:-( He dropped to the floor like a commando with a squeal and plaintiff eyes looking up at me begging him to forgive him for whatever transgression he may have committed. And no, I'm not exaggerating. This dog has clearly lacked the good life that he will now have. He has come a long way in just the few days he was with Ellen and her crew. I can see I'll have to take a much more gentle approach working with this guy.

We went outside to potty and meet my crew. He sure did love that!! It was like a reunion of old friends. It's clear to see that right now, Lucky is most confident when with canine buddies. And being the handsome boy that he is, my girls couldn't get enough of him! That's always the hard part, introducing my girls to new dogs. Cody could care less and just wants to know who he gets to play with now. My girls are more skeptical at first. Lexy, especially can be quite jealous. Though she seems to be getting over her female aggression, there's no doubt that she has always preferred the males:-) Lucky is not a fan of the camera. . .at all! So it may be a while before I can get him to show his happy side in a picture. Rest assured, we'll get there:-) Right now he's snoozing on one of the dog beds, exhausted I'm sure from all the goings on today.

I want to commend Ellen's granddaughters, Echo and Sadie, for a job well done. Lucky is going to be a wonderful addition to someone's home. Of course, I'm not surprised. After all, it's in their blood!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment