Monday, December 21, 2009

No pictures tonight

So I don't have any pictures to post, but I do have a picture to describe. I would use my camera, but the second the pooches hear the lens pop out, they are up and gone:-) I'm sitting here (knowing full well I should be doing something else!) just watching the critters in my home. Oh, the tv is on, but the news is not nearly so appealing as watching the dogs as they sleep and dream! My dog Squirt is all cuddled up on her dog bed, covered in one of the blankets. I think of her beginnings and I can't help but shudder to think what would have happened had she not left that tick infested campground so many years ago. Now she's living in a cozy little house, with her own bed. She used to be so dependent on me, fearing if I left her sight. She's now a confident senior girl who knows what she wants AND how to get it! Woo, can she be a sassy one. She can also be as gentle as a soft breeze. She's cleaned many a tear, that one. . .

Abby, one of the new dogs visiting my house has fallen madly in love with what was Jester's favorite bed! All fleece lined and puffy on the inside, it's just a little rectangle with high sides. I don't even think it cost me all that much. Even my big girl Lexy sticks her big butt in it once in a while:-) Little Abby is too cute! A small girl, she's already pretty low to the ground. Cracks me up how she can walk right under most of my dogs. She gets herself in that bed and rolls herself up and looks just about as cozy as any creature can be. I guess it's really a good thing that Jester got adopted. He'd have a real fight on his paws for this bed! Only weeks ago she was at her previous home, most likely being loved on by her previous owner. Well, that ended when her owner passed away and she ended up in a cage at a shelter. Now that she's here, it's not home, but it's warm and it's comfortable. No worries for her.

Betsy, for some reason, loves to sleep on the hard floor! I think it must be because it's cool and she has such a thick coat, she might be a bit warm. She really put out her funny side tonight. My little dog's dog whisperer, Cody, had her playing and running through the house like a puppy! She's crashed out now, napping away. Again, one who so recently had her own home, now comfortable here, but not still quite sure of herself.

Every once in a while they seem to take turns popping up a head to take a peek at what is going on, but sure enough, that head goes down, they roll a bit, then snuggle their heads back into the warm spot where they were sleeping before. I don't know why such simple things like this fascinate me, but they do. The simple beauty of something so ordinary as taking a nap, watching them sleep with such comfort, it's like listening to the right song or smelling something that reminds you of a good moment in life. It is really true what they say. It's the simple things that make life big:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment