Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mishka finds a home

Er, well, I guess I should say, "Mishka gets to stay right where she is!":-) Mishka, the pretty much perfect dog, has found that those that could best care for her were right in front of her nose, literally. Betsy and Jim, friends of mine, had originally agreed to foster Mishka when they found out that I really needed someone to take her since she was at the vet on borrowed time. The owner wanted to put her down since she didn't want her anymore (can you believe that?!?!?) and the vet talked her into allowing Mishka to go with a rescue if one could be found. My Lexy has always been aggressive with other females, so staying here wasn't an option (or so I thought at the time.) Foster homes were packed to the hilt, as always, so lucky for Mishka she went home with Betsy the very next day. As the weeks went by, it was obvious just how much Mishka adored her foster parents and how much they adored her. Thing was, they wanted to make sure she had the great life she deserved. Mind you, she gets to live in an nice apartment where, I might add, there is a dog park on the premises, she goes for daily walks, regular baths and she has a kitty companion. Did I mention lots of love and belly rubs? Can't really imagine a better situation, really, but I didn't want to pressure them. (Though I did ask them regularly "are you sure????:-)"
Fast forward to the week of Thanksgiving. Betsy and Jim went out of town to visit his folks. Mishka, we earlier discovered, was pretty much loved by all dogs who met her, including my bossy, female aggressive dog, Lexy! When they dropped Mishka off, she literally sat and stared at the front door for more than 10 minutes after they left. Heartbreaking, right? Sometimes our fosters get as attached to us as we do to them. But once again, I digress. Mishka did just fine here with me through the week. I noticed that she had become more playful since I had last seen her (she's always been very subdued:-) The week goes by with a few texts to check on Mishka of course and Mishka is still not adopted. A brief e-mail that came Friday commented on just how much they missed Mishka while they were out of town and that they were really thinking about keeping her. When they called to pick her up Sunday, I suggested that she go ahead and stay with me since she was getting along so well with my group and it would make getting her to adoptions easier. Plus, I wanted to get her to the vet the next day for a check up anyway. Betsy paused for a moment at the other end and agreed dutifully that that might be best. I could tell that the wheels were spinning:-) No more than 20 minutes passed by and my phone rang. It was Betsy and Jim. They decided that they wanted to formally adopt Mishka and could they please come get her that night because they'd been looking forward to seeing her all week and all the long ride home (from Wyoming!) Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder:-) Of course! I said. Mishka was so happy to see them and let me tell you, I didnt' even get a look over the shoulder as she pranced out the door, lol.
So now Mishka is happily where she belongs. Betsy and Jim have their baby, and I can't stop smiling, because, finally, the nearly perfect dog has found her forever home at last. . .Doesn't get much better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment