Sunday, November 8, 2009

No forever home yet

Here are 3 of my boys crashed out. Jester just happened to pop up when he heard the camera click. They are wiped out! Mo went to his first adoption event today. He did pretty well, but didn't find a home:-( Sadly, neither did Jester or Mishka. Their time will come soon enough I suppose. I'm in no rush to get them out the door. I'd just love to see them in a home. I think that rings true for most fosters. You fall in love, but let them go because you know you can't help anyone else if your house is already full of dogs.
The third dog lying next to Mo is Chester. He's my 14-15 year old baby. Of course, don't give away the secret. He has no idea that he's not young anymore. His body lets him know all too often, but he has adapted. I wish that I was always so uncomplaining as Chester. He takes his aches and pains with dignity. Heck, he even continues to get up and follow me all over the house in typical lab fashion.
Chester is a permanent foster. In other words, he's not going anywhere but right here. I wouldn't call him a failed foster so much. Of course, I am glad I am keeping him, but he has something called degenerative mylopathy. In other words, his back legs will eventually be paralyzed. He also is in the early stages of kidney failure. I couldn't bear the thought of him dealing with all of this and adjusting to yet another home. A friend of mine even built a ramp in my yard for the one step he could no longer get up and down. I had just had surgery and couldn't lift him up and down anymore. Now I don't have to. He's still unsteady on his feet at times, but he manages just fine.
Sometimes I think of him as the group's dog because he has won his way into so many hearts with his soulful eyes and happy attitude. I'm the lucky one who gets to see him every day though:-) Wouldn't trade him for a million dollars, literally. No amount of money could replace love and loyalty like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment