Thursday, November 12, 2009

One more



Okay, last one for tonight. Thought I'd catch up since I missed a couple of days. I have to say, blogging is new to me, but I'm really enjoying it. Anyway, in my posts, I keep referring to "my guys" when I write. Well, here are 2 more of my guys. The brown/black girl hiding in the bushes is Squirt. Found her back in 2000 when I went camping with a bunch of friends and their dogs. She was sick, tick infested (literally we stopped counting after we pulled 200) and as it turned out pregnant. Long story short, she had 9 beautiful puppies, which I still can't believe because she was so small. She almost died, but for the help of the whole neighborhood. Money was especially tight for me then and, well I needed help figuring out how to take proper care of her because I had no experience with sick animals really. (I've got that covered now!) After lots of love and care from the dog friends on Rosa Ave, she pulled through and has been healthy (and bossy!) ever since. She's a gentle soul. She is the mama of all the dogs really. She doesn't play with them, doesn't really want them near her and all it takes is a couple of quick growls and nobody messes with her again, lol. But she is sleek and loves to have her belly rubbed. She's at your complete mercy:-)
I snapped this picture of my Lexy , black/gray girl, just the other day. I swear I could almost hear her giggling saying, "She'll never find little old me hiding behind this great big leaf." It was even funnier when I sent the pic out and a friend e-mailed me writing the exact same thing I was thinking. You have to know Lexy. She's an amazing dog. I got her in the fall of 1999. She was this funny looking, spotted little thing with very little hair (who knew she'd become a great big furball!) She was the hobo of the neighborhood and ended up living with me. She was the first dog I had just after I divorced. She was/is my best pal. Pretty much everyone I met after I moved into the neighborhood was because they know Lexy from running around! I could go on and on about the ways she has influenced my life, but I could never really put into words how much I love this dang dog. She and Squirt have helped me through the deaths of both of my parents, family drama, illness and many stressful times. She always knows just what to do. If I'm happy she bounds around looking back at me to make sure I see her. She will come and swat my leg for a pet or to play. If I'm sad she lays down by my feet and waits. If I'm mad, lol, she's nowhere to be found because she probably did something:-) Don't really know how I would have made it this far without her.
"They say I saved you, but it was really you who rescued me." This is a quote that I've seen around talking about rescuing animals. I think that this is often quite true. . Another of my favorite quotes is:
"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.", --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I guess that's enough mush for tonight:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment