Friday, November 6, 2009

Piper Comes Back

I picked up this gal this evening. She's a little chihuahua with the softest coat I think I may have ever felt. This picture just doesn't do her any justice. She'll only be with me until tomorrow though, then she'll go with Ellen or someone who has room to foster her. I fear my bigger dogs could injure her just due to their size. I have an 16lb chihuahua mix and Piper makes him look like a honking moose! The Senior Dog contract requires that any of our adopted dogs be returned to us should the owner decide he or she can't keep the dog anymore. Unfortunately for whatever reason, it doesn't always happen. Luckily the local Humane Society contacted us to let us know that this little gal was dropped there after the owner went into a nursing home and the family couldn't or wouldn't keep her.
I try not to be judgemental because I know that all folks go through things, but I just can't imagine not keeping the pet of someone close to me in this situation. It's hard enough for the person to leave his/her home, but do they wonder what's happened to their beloved pet? What does the family tell him/her? Does the family think about what's going on in the dog's head? Or how the person feels knowing that someone in the family couldn't keep the dog? Just a few questions that pop into my head when I hear about something like this which happens all too often.
Piper will find another home though, no matter how long it takes. In the meantime, she'll get all the love and care she needs, though it won't be nearly the same as being in her own home with her own people (or person.)

No comments:

Post a Comment